A couple of things... the first is that the pricking published by Ruth
Bean is not the original but an adaptation by Anne Buck of the original.
Perhaps she can have some influence on the possibility of republishing
the pricking? Does anyone know when Ruth Bean Publishers started in
business? If it was after 1949, there may be some question as to their
right to hold a copyright that legally belongs to the heirs of Miss
Channer until the year 2019.

Second, this is a sterling example of the flaw in the ridiculous length
of copyright duration. Catherine Channer died in 1949 and Ruth Bean
Publications is sitting on her work, making it unavailable to those Miss
Channer devoted her time and talents to during her lifetime! Those of us
who are designing need to consider what will happen to our own work
after we are no longer around to control it. A greedy (or uncaring)
publisher or uncaring (or hateful) relative could bury our work in much
the same way as Miss Channer's work is being buried... for nearly 3/4 of
a century after we die, or longer if a corporation can get hold of the
copyright! I appreciate Vivienne and other's wish to make a fair return
on their work and I would never advocate copying a *living* author's
work, but for heaven's sake do you really want your *legacy* consigned
to obscurity at the whim of someone else? That is really what is being
discussed here. Consider Sr. Judith who is well over 80 years old... she
has designed nearly every scrap of Withof on the planet. What will
happen to her work when she passes (God willing she lives in health many
more years)? Will Withof simply disappear with her? Pattern Book 7 is
already rare as hen's teeth and not being printed, and IMHO it contains
some of her best work. I don't have a copy and it's unlikely I'll ever
be able to get one from bookfinder.com or ebay at any price. Lacemakers
50 - 70 years from now certainly won't.

Realizing that there is little we can do against the battalions of
lawyers and piles of bucks corporations like Disney use to drive the
copyright laws further and further out of the realm of common sense, it
is still a travesty that an important work like Miss Channer's Mat will
be allowed to languish for so long. When Miss Channer died, what was the
expected length of her copyright and what has it ended up as years
later? Even if she had thought about this at all, how could she know
what would happen?

Do *we* even know where this will end? Since the copyright on Mickey
Mouse hasn't expired yet the length of time could be extended many more
times. With the advent of DVD-based movies and music, there will be even
more pressure to extend the duration copyrights.

Sorry to go on so, but this is one of my "soapboxes". (For
non-Americans, the term "soapbox" comes from a time when people would
stand on a soapbox (or other such wooden box) in a public place and cry
out their personal message to the world.)

Marcie