Dear Lace Friends,

Three years ago, I joined Arachne after I saw some beautiful Needlelace in a
book, and then by serendipity <g>, came across Arachne on the Web a couple
of days later. My very first posting to the group was about Battenberg lace.

So, NL was my first love, BBL ( before bobbin lace). And, since I have done
fine crochet for many many years, I read Jeri's review last month on Angela
Thompson's new book "Romanian Point Lace" with great interest. I ordered it
from England straight away, and it arrived last week. I must say, I am
really impressed.

Romanian Point Lace is tape lace where the "tape" part is crocheted braid.
Angela's book is full of authentic information on this robust peasant lace.
Lots of needleweaving stitches ( I counted about 50) , decorative elements
like rings and bullion grape knots (very interesting and apparently typical
to this lace) and some needlelace fillings, for all sorts of shapes. Seven
different crochet braids are used in this lace, something which I had not
come across before. Lots of small patterns (motifs, coasters, bells,
butterflies, edgings, bookmarks, a teacosy) and plenty of larger traditional
patterns ( my favourites <g>) from private collections. There is also a
chapter on pattern design, and (practical) adaptation examples from BL
patterns.

The instructions are clear, especially as Angela has given photos in two
contrasting colours ( for every stitch) so you can follow the formation of
the stitches easily. The layout is very attractive, as many of the laces are
made using coloured or multi-shaded crochet cotton, and there is a wealth of
very practical information. Anyone with a crochet hook, crochet cotton and a
blunt-ended tapestry needle, can start straight away.

A very lively book on a very colourful lace. Thank you, Angela, for all the
hard work you put into the research of this little-known lace. And
Congratulations on bringing out such an inspiring book. ( The only thing
missing was a photograph of you  - that would have been the icing ! )

I love this book, and recommend it anyone with an interest in needlelace, or
otherwise. It is especially nice because Angela is an arachnean. I hope the
book will be available at Ithaca and you can all see how beautiful this lace
is, and how Angela has presented it so comprehensively, that it quickly
comes well within the capabilities of every lacemaker.

Best wishes
Sulochona in Ranchi, India, where the weather is marvelous.