And what Americans call an eraser, we in England call a rubber - which has
quite a different meaning in the USA, as I understand!

Ann in Manchester, UK

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ruth Budge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Adele Shaak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Jane Viking Swanson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "arachne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 6:40 AM
Subject: Re: [lace] Thanks for NL help

And when we arrived in Australia in the 1950's, there was a brand on sale
here called Durex - which at least in the UK then was a brand of
contraceptive.  You can imagine how a young English girl reacted upon
hearing the cry go down the corridors of the office:  "does anyone have any
Durex?"
Ruth Budge (Sydney, Australia)