>I'm struggling to finish pricking a wide floral Bucks handkerchief edging -
I'm coming down the fourth side now.   It'll be a relief to start working
it, after all this pricking!

Hi Ruth,
Why do you prick the whole pattern all at once? I start pricking a few
centimeters, then I work until the pricked holes are finished, prick again a
few centimeters, continue working... This makes the whole process more
relaxing.
You can have a try next time.
Many greetings from Antje, Spain.