Probably true, but from a coin collector's point of view, still
collectible.

There are groups of collectors that specialize in love tokens, hobo
tokens and other "defaced" coins that have been turned into remembrances
or artwork.

I highly doubt that this kind of work is ever prosecuted unless there's
an intent to defraud - it just ceases to be valid currency.  There are
companies that make all kinds of money (no pun intended) here in the US
by "coloring" coins with enamel coatings.  They advertise nationally and
no one seems to fuss.

I think the main factor for me on this bobbin, while it's pretty and the
story interesting, is that there's no provenance to back it up.

For lace content:
Three weeks ago the Willamette Valley in Oregon got more snow than I've
seen in years and years, followed immediately by days of freezing rain.
 Five inches of snow in my yard topped by more than an inch of ice.
Believe me - we're classified as "temperate rainforest" - this is very
unusual.  (Even more unusual in that there are still small piles of
unmelted snow lingering here and there today - our snow usually lasts
three days, at most.)

Anyway.  I work for a school district and we ended up being closed for
four days, six if you count the following weekend.  We were completely
housebound for the first four days - it was so slick that walking to the
mailbox was a major hazard.  I have no children to keep entertained, thus
no cabin fever.  I finished my Bucks bookmark (the one in the Stott book;
ongoing for 5 months), started an edging for the Lace Census project, and
started a new knitted lace jabot (as well as getting in tons of reading,
closet cleaning, jigsaw puzzles, and more knitting; DH is also
self-maintaining <g>).  I'm starting to daydream of retirement - there's
so much to learn and I'll be so productive once I'm not working.  <g>

I think my Bucks is starting to stick - I'm "seeing" where the threads
should go and not using the diagrams so much.  Now if I can just keep the
momentum up. I'm thinking of doing the same bookmark a second time for a
retirement gift.  It should go much faster this time.

Jeri: I read your story about carving out time for crafts with interest.
 While I couldn't do what you did (I'm *not* a morning person), I find
that I stay up late at night to get that same chunk of creative time.
 I'm probably not as chipper in the mornings as I should be but that's on
company time, not mine.  I find if I don't lace, knit, or stitch for at
least a few minutes every evening, I don't get that "zen" time I need to
sleep well.  My knitting goes everywhere with me, so I can get in a few
more minutes here and there.  DH knows that if I'm sitting down and not
working on anything that I'm too tired to function and he bundles me off
to bed.

LeAnn in Aloha, Oregon - where we're back to rain again.