On Jan 28, 2004, at 0:52, Betty Ann Rice wrote:

Tamara, the seller was in Richmond, *not* the buyer. For those who don't know,
the Valentine is in Richmond...

Thanks; that's what Clay said, too. Shows how much I know about e-bay and where to look for info... :)

On Jan 28, 2004, at 4:00, Jean Barrett wrote:

Whatever the story behind this bobbin, it is certainly very beautiful.

$500+ beautiful? I know that dollar isn't worth much at the moment, but, really... :)

With the wooden shaft and only silver top and tail it would be quite useable, I think.

I'm not so sure... A "top-heavy" bobbin is harder to tension, especially on a flat or semi flat (cookie) pillow. Also, silver tarnishes easily (as someone wrote to me in private) -- wouldn't it affect the thread? The other way around (wood head and neck, silver handle) would, I think be more sensible. With the main weight being in the handle, there'd be little tensioning required and, the constant handling would keep the silver bright...

I have several all silver bobbins, (wedding anniversary, job leaving bobbins) and they are quite awkward to use. The difference in weight makes my fingures stumble over them on the pillow. Gold would be hopeless in this respect. It's much too heavy.

But it doesn't tarnish... :) As for all-metal bobbins, I used to have some aluminium ones from Oz (sorry, old age; cannot remember the name of the maker. But they're no longer in business anyway, I think), when I was still working with spangled ones. Yes, they were heavier than all the others... So I added heavier spangles and used them as gimp bobbins. I could load *lots* of thread on them, and they still balanced right and didn't need tugging to tension. And, gimp requires different treatment anyway, so that wasn't a problem, either. Indeed, it was a plus, as I could spot them immediately, both visually and by touch...

----- Tamara P Duvall Lexington, Virginia, USA Formerly of Warsaw, Poland http://lorien.emufarm.org/~tpd/