At 06:56 AM 4/16/2004, you wrote:
A friend made me a pillow for my one foray into needlelace.  It was covered
with velvet and filled with sand to make a firm surface to pin the prepared
pattern onto.  And the beginners piece of punto-in- aria is still there <g>.
My pillow is rectangular and has no stand but it is just possible that the
pictured article could have been used as a pillow for a small round motif.

Jay in Sydney, Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

When you used this pillow, where did you put it? The few needlelace makers that I've seen working have had the work above the lap so it could be easily seen and comfortably worked on. The old pictures of lacemakers with the small round ball pillows had them on their laps.

This would be hard to hold on a lap, and it seems like it would be too far away from the eyes if it sat on a table.

I think this is a pincushion, perhaps for hat pins, that sat on a dressing table.

I do wish the seller had shown all the cupid cutwork, though. It is a bit unusual.

Alice in Oregon -- where it's a cool wet week following record high temps. And the Vancouver Volcanoes Lace Day is tomorrow!