At 08:05 AM 5/12/04 -0500, Mary Robi wrote:

>. . . Oh, and those really skinny "ones" I think of as plaits. Me,
> too Tamara - playts. Is that a Yankee thing?

It's a learned-out-of-a-book thing.  I have two terms in my vocabulary:
My father* sometimes said my hair was "platted", but I was full-grown before
I found out how it was spelled, and read "plait" as "playt".

Which sounds as though I was putting on an Irish accent.

"Plait" and "pleat" used to be the same word.

(*Mother, who was eleven years younger, always said "braid".)

--
Joy Beeson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]