Judicial attire in the US is very boring possibly reflecting our
anti-aristocratical dogma and a perception that lace is soft and pretty and weak and
that
it ill-suits people who have the power and authority to sentence others to
death or a life-time in jail. However, I have noted that Judge Judy, supposedly a
real life judge, who presides over a television court room where people
submit their disputes for reasons that elude me, seems to wear a diminutive lace
collar over her robe. I don't know whether this is to distinguish TV judging
from other judging or whether this is an affectation that some women judges
adopt. The lace collar in question is very mundane, even severe, as is Judge Judy,
and does little to advance the appreciation of lace.

Devon
cursed by living in a country with no good pageantry

PS I attended the Burr-Hamilton duel re-enactment in Weehawken over the
weekend. It was hard to see, but both duelers seemed to be sporting frilly neckwear.