>>>From: nerakmacd [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
I'm wondering which pillows you prefer, and why.  I know that the ethafoam
can become worn easier after much use with the pins.  Is it the same with
the straw, or does the straw tend to 'regroup' better after being used over
and over with the pins.<<<

My first pillow was made from an old McCall's Needlework magazine, with felt
roller and lightly-padded cardboard apron.

The next was made during a class, a travel-size roller pillow.  The base is
wood, the roller is rug padding wrapped around a dowel (with a layer of wool
blanketing), and the apron is fabric-covered, stuffed very densely with
polyester batting (I believe that's wadding, in England).

Then I made 3 cookie pillows.  The first (24") had a wood base and was
stuffed with polyester batting, but not densely enough.  It sagged in the
middle, and some pins have trouble penetrating densely-packed batting, so I
don't recommend it.

The second cookie (16") was stuffed with circles of rug padding, each bigger
than the one below (yes, below--an inverted pyramid, so the topmost layer
was continuous, bent down over the others), with wool blanketing over the
padding.  This is an excellent, inexpensive, easy home-made pillow.

The third cookie (12") was stuffed with "wood grit".  This is bits of wood,
coarser than sawdust but finer than anything else.  Well-stuffed, it makes a
great pinning surface but it was heavier than the 16" one!  And I got the
stuff when they were getting rid of it at work--I have no idea where one
would get more.

I then made a bigger roller pillow, the base just like the travel one only
larger.  The roller is again rug padding and blanketing.  I stuffed the
apron with wood grit--bad move!  Much too heavy.

Then I started buying pillows.  I have foam blocks (feels more like
builder's polystyrene foam than polyethylene foam), a seagrass cookie, a
small straw bolster, and a Simone Toustou (don't know what it's stuffed
with, but it never smelled like seagrass or straw).  Some people have blocks
made from industrial-grade felt (1" thick).  I bought some felt but haven't
covered the pieces or made a frame for them.

I wouldn't say foam or straw are one better than the other.  Foam is too
light by itself, it needs a wood base to make the pillow sit still.  I don't
like it for Midlands bobbins because they lay flat on the flat surface and
are hard to grab, but Continentals have a narrow waist that sits above the
flat surface and so are easier to grab.  Straw and seagrass are *much* too
much work to make pillows from, IMO, so I didn't have those till I'd
"graduated" to buying pillows.  But that was home-made vs. store-bought, not
beginner vs. experienced.

Robin P.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
http://www.pittsburghlace.8m.com/