In a message dated 20/07/2004 06:20:09 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:
> I would not recommend doing exotic wood sawdust either. Many a woodworker
> has found out that exotic woods can cause many allergies or illnesses

I'll second this one.  Doing the health and safety aspect of lace on a City &
Guilds many years ago, I phoned Richard Gravestock to ask him what he knew
about the risk aspects of wood.  Although it's the fine dust particles in the
air from turning that cause most of the problems rather than the bigger
"sawdust", some of the fine dust would get into the pillow and maybe more breakdown
over the years.  And interestingly, he told me that one or more of the
"ordinary" fruit woods like apple and plum are as bad - but I can't remember now which
one(s) he said.

I'm not so sure about pet bedding but horse beddings are clean, pine
shavings.  I would think that the finer stuff from the same process is bagged for
hamsters etc.  It's not treated with any additions and I wouldn't think it has (or
needs) any pre-sterilization.

Jacquie