Jacquie wrote:

<I'm not so sure about pet bedding but horse beddings are clean, pine
shavings.  I would think that the finer stuff from the same process is
bagged for
hamsters etc.  It's not treated with any additions and I wouldn't think it
has (or
needs) any pre-sterilization.>

Yes, it's pine specially made into shaving and sawdust for bedding pets and
horses, not a by-product from any other woodworking process. When I lived in
Essex many years ago we had the first factory producing shavings for horses
and used to buy bales of it direct from them as they came off the packing
machines. The machinery "eating" stripped pine tree trunks was in the same
huge shed. It was amazingly clean because the trunk went in one end and
bales of vacuum-packed shavings or sawdust, depending on which machine, came
out the other.

Jean in Poole