David,
Could humidity or the lack thereof be an issue?  I have had more problems with thread
breakage when I lived in more arid environments and would use a plant mister to
periodically spray my threads.  My lace is very happy now that I've moved to a much
more humid environment -- although I miss the clean mountain air.

Beth McCasland
Metairie, Louisiana
(suburb of New Orleans)

David Collyer wrote:

<snip>

I find that when I'm using the very fine 2/20 silk and I have to tension up the 14 or
so pairs, that's
when I'm most likely to break threads.

<snip>

I only broke 3 threads today - but each one seemed so un-necessary - and I think
Mother was rolling over in her grave with what I uttered. At least Roxy's getting a
bit too old to hear it all. Had to have a stiff vodka.