I feel tremendous remorse for having flippantly replied "Don't ask" in
regard to your Channer Mat question. It was wrong of me. There are no wrong
questions. You should certainly ask any questions you have and we will be happy
answer them and welcome you to the list.

However, I had to laugh when I saw the tatting repair question, since we
have once again embarked on one of our favorite rifs, second only to the
Channer
Mat as a favorite topic of discussion. The discussion topic I refer to  is
why won't anyone pay an amount for recently made bobbin lace that  reflects a
living hourly wage in the 21st century.

Examples from this discussion topic include:
What makes me apoplectic with rage is when somebody asks me what price  I
would want for a piece of lace I'd made, and I give them the hours times  $10
price.  They get offended and tell me they wouldn't even pay  that for
antique lace (as if everybody agrees that antique lace is  intrinsically more
valuable than modern).  I don't even discuss it  anymore.

and

One of the comments that has stayed with me came from a teenager who stood
and watched me do bobbin lace for awhile then said, "Gollllly! I'd bet you'd
get  five dollar a yard fer that stuff!" ...Trying to educate these dolts is a
is a losing proposition...

Unfortunately, lace repair falls into the category of things that take a
very long time to do. An hourly wage for this work quickly mounts up past what
most people are willing to pay. I haven't seen the tatting in question, but my
guess is that if someone priced out how much it would cost to repair it at an
 hourly wage of $10 the person seeking tatting repair's jaw would drop and
she would say, "Why I could fix my car for that."

I have from time to time tried to find the names of people capable of and
willing to repair lace. But no one I have spoken to has the psychological
stamina to even enter into a negotiation with someone who thinks they want lace

repair services. My guess is that it would have to be a labor of love performed

by someone who really likes the person who owns the tatting.

Devon