Hello Carolina

When I first learned to make BL I was taught that although CT was half stitch, CTC was "whole" stitch or linen stitch. CTCT was double half stitch. Vera Rigney who taught me learned originally from a Mrs Helen Hoppe, who learned from her mother Mrs Mary Ainger, who in turn learned from her mother Mrs Jane Dillow who came from Buckinghamshire.

Nowadays I say 'half stitch' for CT, 'cloth stitch' for CTC and 'cloth & twist' or 'double-half stitch' for CTCT.

A similar terminology problem happens with rose-ground and honeycomb. Modern (English) lacemakers usually think of rose-ground as a four pin version of the Flemish cane-ground or five-hole ground and honeycomb as the filling very commonly found in point ground laces such as Bucks Point. However, old books (including Dillmont) refer to the point ground filling as rose ground whilst the five-hole ground is double ground or maidens net. Confusing??

Brenda