My wife and I were shopping at thrift stores and we found this very peculiar
lace fabric that we plan on using for a costume.  On closer inspection I
noticed it was bobbinlace(either hand done or by machine, but obvious
threads with cloth stitch trails and twisted picots) and swiggling in a
cornelly type of fashion being joined by the picots.  A simple tape lace,
but the trails are very sporatic with no rhyme or reason.  Could be free
style lace?  Not sure of the origin or date.  Appears by look of the thread
condition and size to be possible market lace.  It is cotton thread.  There
were four panels sewn together by a fine thread(that did not match the lace
thread) which did not disturb the joining of the picots, so was easy to take
off.  Each panel I have located 3 starting points of the trails, but are not
in equal distance around the panel.  Very confusing yet intriguing to figure
it out.  The pretty edging went around the entire 4 panels added later(I
assume).  This we had to cut at the junction :-\ We disassembled one of the
panels(since we plan on using them separately for a costume flounce) and I
plan on diagramming the trails to find out more on how this snake-like trail
starts and ends and would be a good practice for small amount of bobbins and
LOTS of sewings.  Quite a task!

Here is a link to on of the lace panels:
www.tat-man.net/tatmanblog/lacepanel.jpg

If you have any thoughts about this, I would like to hear it.  In the
meantime, I will be diagramming the trails just out of curiousity.  Could be
one of those "round tuit" projects for a table cloth or curtains if I have
an empty bolster pillow ;)

Mark, aka Tatman
www.tat-man.net
Greenville, IL USA