Hello Jenny and welcome

I think you have discovered by now there is a wealth of very experienced
lacemakers here to help you.  They truly are amazing in the collective
knowledge they have so don't be afraid to to ask questions.

I only have one point to add

> >          Pricking card

If you use plastic film to cover your prickings try to get hold of the non
reflective kind its easier on the eye when you are looking at it for long
periods.  Personally I didn't use plastic film for a long time, I pricked
straight on to the card from my paper pattern and then just used the card,
after all if you are only going to use the pattern for a short period and
then never again it is pointless going to all that trouble.  It is usually
only of benefit if you intend using the pattern again and again because you
like it so much or because you are using it to make yards of lace or
possibly because there is a lot of detail on the paper pattern that you want
to retain for working with, although we transferred the cloth trail in
pencil on to the card and then went over it with a permanent ink pen, doing
this helps to concentrate the mind on the direction of the cloth trail and
you make less mistakes that way (well that's the theory) :-)

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you even more.

Best regards

Jane Bawn
Portchester UK