Greetings!

I promised to report back after test-driving the international square bobbins that Tamara was generous enough to send me. I mentioned to her that I'd like to keep the tradition of passing these bobbins on to someone else who might like to try before buying. She whole-heartedly agreed. So, if anyone else is interested, please email me off list. First person who emails me gets them just as I did - at no charge, and with good wishes.

Anyway, I was delighted! They seem to be balanced really well and are lighter than they look, and of course there was no rolling. I liked the way they handled, and I just felt really comfortable using them. It felt like I'd used them all along - extemely easy to get used to. Consequently, I could then spend my time concentrating on achieving good tension, doing sewings and fine-tuning.

I started using the double head, but even though I had pre-wound then hung the bobbins for a day, I had problems with them unwinding. That's been a recurring problem for me, so not the fault of the bobbins. I tried a double hitch, but apparently I didn't do it right, because I ended up with a knot instead of a hitch. That caused a few tense minutes while I tried to undo the knots without fraying or breaking the thread. I'll have to do some research to find pictures of how to do the double hitch thing.

Doing sewings was a breeeeeeeeeeze, although I was doing my first top sewings. Uuum, I'm not sure I was doing them correctly when I had to use the same loop twice. I need to research that some more, too. I especially liked them for sewing, though, because there's a smooth transition from the body of the bobbin to where the head begins - nothing at all for the thread to catch on, plus they're just slightly pointed on the end so they go into the loop easily.

I thought they looked pretty plain, but when they were all on my pillow, they looked rather elegant, sort of the way a "little black dress" can look.

I mixed 2 rosaline bobbins with them, but they were much heavier, so I used those 2 for my worker pair, and because of their weight, won't buy any more. I think they'll work well for gimps.

So I've test-driven. No crash and burns, no spin-outs, just smooth travelin'. On the proverbial scale 1-10, I rate them with a 9.0. I'd improve on them by making them in a choice of woods; I could only find them in pear wood.

Mary