From: Brenda Paternoster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Only other suggestion is that her Richard Ives
> bobbins are *very* smooth and thus allow the hitch to slip.

I've gotten rather fussy about the bobbins I buy.  Some may be gorgeous, but
don't have a good enough head for me (if I remember correctly, Richard Ives is
in this category).  The depth of the groove, relative to the tip of the head is
important, and also the angle of the part between the groove and tip.
Springett's wood bobbins don't have enough contrast between groove and tip to
hold thread securely (as someone's pointed out during this thread), but his
bone ones do.  The tip is a whole lot wider than the groove, and the groove is
practically at the tip on the bones, but the taper from tip to groove is much
more gradual on the woods.  I only use these as an example because the same
maker produces two very different head styles.

My favorites are Stuart Johnson's.  The head is tiny compared to many
bobbin-makers, but the groove is quite deep relative to the tip portion.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
(formerly  Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania)