Clay, I think it must have once been the handle to something as the
"spangle" end looks like it went into something. A stick base for a fan or a
doll's parasol? In any case is sure is strange!

Trish in sunny West Virginia

> I do enjoy seeing some of the strange things people associate with lace.
This is a "bobbin" which someone may have spangled after deciding it was a
bobbin...  or it may have actually been used by a lacemaker (who was being
resourceful?)  But it clearly wasn't originally made as a bobbin... so what
WAS it??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2219&item=7324298097