In a message dated 6/6/05 11:54:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> As far as keeping labels with spools I always push the label inside the
> spool - works with most reels and spools, but  not for the balls that
> most crochet cottons and pearl cottons come packaged as.  Try either an
> elastic band around teh ball and label, or make a small hole in the
> label and tie it to the end of the thread.

Dear Lacemakers,

Depends on the climate where you live, but I have found that elastic bands
break down over time.  Some break.  Some simply dry up and lose their stretch.
Others seem to get sort of slimey and leave stains.  So, I'd recommend the tie
method as preferable.  Another use for the short ends of thread you have when
you finish a lace project!

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace & Embroidery Resource Center.