>In a message dated 14/06/2005 22:08:36 GMT Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>writes:
>
>I want  to make a pricking for a beginner of the beginner's "bandage" to be
>made  using ordinary sewing thread.

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
> and I felt, when I'd finished that I  hadn't
>achieved anything.
>and
>gives them something worth having as their first project.

I assume there is a reason for wanting to use sewing thread as a first
rather than anything thicker (which most of us probably use - either one
of the cordonnets or Perle 8). However, it does pose some problems for
beginners - though they would either learn to tension properly very
quickly or get very frustrated with broken threads! - and as Jacqui
says, it grows very slowly.

But, there is no reason why you can't do something with the bandage
produced - two short narrow lengths (about 2 inches), coiled round a
bobbin and stiffened (I use this as a just past beginner project, and
incorporate a wire pair to hold the coil in place) can be used for
earrings. You can do this with any thickness of thread. An ordinary
bandage can be gathered down one side into a rosette, placed on an
interesting background (I've started using glitter card for this) and
placed in a coaster. Once the piece has served its purpose in the
straight - to learn the stitches - it doesn't have to stay straight!

You don't have to do miles of bandage - careful placing of the basic
stitches, and use of colour, (which helps a beginner understand the
stitches) can make a 6-8 inch length of the beginner strip into a
bookmark.

Having something usable rather than just a strip of bandage at the end
of the exercise gives a morale boosting sense of achievement, and
motivates the beginner to go on to other things. Get bored with a
bandage, and you may stop there.
--
Jane Partridge