Alice wrote...

> Second -- the work day was much longer then, than now. In books I've read,
the lacemaker went to work as early as 4am and worked until 7pm.  <

Lordy!!  And all I can think about is how their backs must have ached!!

Every year about this time, we've had a discussion about the question I'm about
to raise.  Obviously, we could all refer to the archives, but I do think it's
timely that we have a new round of discussion regarding ways to survive the
long hours at the lace pillow.

Whenever I sit at the pillow for long stretches, I end up with muscle spasms in
my lower back.  (I'm talking multiple days here, as in a long workshop!)
Numerous suggestions have been made to avoid this problem.  New ideas may have
emerged since our last discussion.

With IOLI rapidly approaching, it would be a wonderful service to all who are
going if we could review the ''best practices" for managing the comfort of our
bodies over a long period of lacemaking!!  Thanks for all your input!

Clay

Clay Blackwell