Insurance can be a very grey area when you try to value a piece of lace. It's worth what someone will pay for it and that's how insurance companies make their valuations.

In UK Lace Guild members can get insurance through the Guild. I'm not fully in touch with the current situation but I do know that a few years ago there were a couple of claims made for pieces that went missing during transport to/from exhibitions; different occasions, different makers but both superb examples of modern lace. The big problem was fixing the monetary value of the lost items. One of the owners claimed that it had taken her 2000+ hours to make (if I remember correctly) and expected her compensation to reflect that, the other person was more stoic about it and took the stance of 'Oh well if it's gone, then it's gone' and accepted a couple of hundred pounds (GBP).

Brenda