Greetings from Down Under,

A couple of years ago I made a "pillow bag" for a large square pillow I have for working Eeva-Liisa's pictures. Because of the size and weight of the base, I used denim, two layers with pellon (lightest weight wadding) in between. The sides of the pillow bag and the handles were bound with left over strips from quilting projects.

I started with a long piece (with the pellon between two pieces of fabric) which was a couple of inches more than twice the length of the pillow, and an inch or two wider. I sewed two "flaps" on one half which tie with ribbon across the pillow with bobbins and pins in place. When the other half is folded on top of the pillow, there are large buttons down the sides and across the top. The handles (also made with strips of light denim with pellon between) made a large circle before being attached to the bag - to add reinforcement because of the weight of the pillow/base as well as to have something to carry it with.

One side has the most wonderful black and white cow machine embroidered on it and the other a sign which says "If the kitchen is unattended, try the sewing room".

I am sure the idea could be adapted for a smaller pillow. If I make another I will make the handles longer so they could be used "over the shoulder".

Mary Carey
Campbelltown, NSW, Australia