Well, I hesitate to bring this up, but I notice that we are not targeting
men. And yet the men who are interested in lace, and we have had several in New

York, are often involved in the Fashion Industry and thus trend setters.
Also,  the men of our lace community tend to be very good lacemakers, often
designers  and innovators. I can't think of a single one who is mediocre.
I don't want to imply that women are biologically disadvantaged when it
comes to making lace, but before we invest all our hopes in some young woman
who
will just break our hearts by getting married and having a job and children,
let  us consider how we might package our craft to appeal to men. They tend to
have  more money and are very competitive, thus striving for excellence in all
things.  They don't spend years learning how to make their own play-doh or
checking the  credentials of orthodontists, either. And I have noticed that the
craft of  making flies for fly fishing involves all the same equipment as
lace,  lights, magnification, clamps, thread.
Wouldn't it send a message that lace is worthwhile if attractive young men,
or even distinguished older men were seen to be doing it?
Any thoughts about this approach?
Devon