Regarding:
> Finally, I reread the recent PieceWork article on oya and noticed that the
> oya in the last picture (the headscarf belonging to Linda Ligon) had a very
> 'plastic' look. So that's why I think that these coarse nylon threads are
> being used for oya in Turkey. Maybe someone has a few oya at home and can
> confirm or deny my guess? >

I think you are right. I don't have any new oya to prove it, but IIRC
in the article on bebilla in
"In Search of a Curious Mind" (an Interweave Press publication, now
o.o.p.) there is a photo of a scarf trimmed with the traditional
shapes, so from a distance it looks like any other, up close it is
tiny pieces of foam rubber sewn to the edge of the scarf. The article
was written prior to 1990; the comment was that more readily available
materials had taken place of the traditional. I would think that that
hadn't changed over the last decades. My copy is deep in the lace room
library and if I can locate it, will confirm. The articles in the book
were well-documented.

--
bye for now
Bev in Sooke BC (on Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)