Dear Bev,
  wh-oh that's a stain! First you've got to find out what dissolves the
lipstick (alcohol? carbon tet?) and get rid of the lipstick, then you've got
to find out what dissolves that. Detergent will work for the alcohol. The
other might be too dangerous, supposing you can get it. I'm not sure what they
use in drycleaning now. If the greasy part is removed but the dye remains,
would the bedspread withstand bleaching?
  This will be a cleaning project that requires space!

  Many thanks for your input. Thank goodness it's not MY bedspread, but that
of my cousin who knew to phone me straight away to ask Arachne!! :) It was her
2 yr old grandaughter who had a ball with the lipstick.
  My first thought is always to go for the solution of soda bi-carb which
might do the job and certainly wouldn't do any harm.
  You're right though - there are 2 main aspects to this stain - the colour of
the dye + the fatty ingredient of the lipstick. Personally I'd be tempted to
call it a work of art and frame it and be done with it!

  So what do you reckon should be tackled first - the fat or the colour?
Surely it will require some sort of heat and absorbent talc to remove the fat.
Then after that I reckon pure cotton should stand a good bleaching.

  I'm forwarding your replies as they come, so please - any little lateral
thought might help
  David in Ballarat