I believe there are 2 books available - one by Fukuyama, and the other the Liers lace by Greet Rome-Verbeylen.
There is a third, well it's really a 26 page booklet: Jean Dudding. Creating Coggeshall Lace. I think it's out of print, but if you put the title in Google, you'll find lots of sources, including the Lace Guild.

I am told Liers Lace and Tambour lace are the same thing.
As is Coggeshall lace.

Please can anyone give me book reviews, and/or advice on which would be the better buy.
I don't know the Fukuyama book, but I have the other two and if I were trying to teach myself from a book, I think I'd buy both of them. IMHO, the Dudding one is better for getting you started. The directions are much clearer than the Lier lace book. On the other hand, in 26 pages, there aren't many filling stitches nor patterns. It's the cheapest of the 3 by far, so maybe you should start with it and see if you like making tambour lace before spending a lot of money on the other 2.

Margot Walker in Halifax on the east coast of Canada
Visit the Seaspray Guild of Lacemakers web site:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/quinbot/seaspray/SeasprayLaceGuild.html