Anyway, I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba....

Canadian suppliers that spring to mind are:
http://www.victoria.tc.ca/~wt912/
http://www.trilliumlace.ca/

US suppliers
http://www.vansciverbobbinlace.com/
http://www.lacemakerusa.com/
http://www.lacemaking.com/
http://www.lacysusan.com/index.html
http://www.snowgoose.cc/

This is not a comprehensive list, just what I can think of without too much effort! I don't know about their policies on payment, you'll have to check the sites for that.

Oh! I've just stumbled across the Arachne page for suppliers ( I don't know how up-to-date it is):
http://www.arachne.com/suppliers/lace_sources.us.html

and list of Canadian lace guilds (dated 1996!!!) :
http://www.arachne.com/guild/canada.html

There is a Canadian lace guild and magazine, but I can't readily find info on that

American Lace Guild: International Old Lacers Inc
http://www.internationaloldlacers.org/

Lori the lace fairy has collected lots of sage advice for beginners on her pages:
http://lace.lacefairy.com/BeginGuide.html

Hopefully soon - others will chip in with more info. I'd better go out and stop playing on the computer for now.!!

Sue Babbs
(an Englishwoman living in Chicago)

Cool.... My family came from Manchester.... I'm first generation Canadian....

I come originally from the Wirral (across the Mersey from Liverpool). My first job after university was in Manchester, and that is still my preferred airport for flying into the UK - lovely early morning flight along the coast of North Wales. then I know I am home!
Sue