In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jean Nathan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>You could try looking at http://www.nationalexpress.com/ which, I think, is
>the only bus system which is nationwide. You should be able to get from
>Wymondham to Exeter (which isn't far from Honiton), but I don't think you'd be
>able to get there and back in a day. Other than that it would be trains and
>buses. I don't think Honiton still has a train station.

Daphne, do you know if National Express buses stop in the Wymondham
area?

We thought probably she would need to get to somewhere like Norwich
(there is a railway station, I can remember passing through it on the
way to the Lace Guild AGM in Norwich a few years ago) to pick up the bus
to London, then from there across to Exeter, and a local bus to Honiton
- but as Jean more or less said, it would probably take the best part of
a day to do.

It would probably be easier to get the train from Wymondham to Honiton
(there is a railway station - we used it when we went down to the
exhibition a couple of years back), but be warned that this would
involve changing at several intermediary stations - the express trains
do not stop at smaller stations, so you need to get the slower locals to
connect to the major routes. Looking at the National Rail website, it
would, starting out on Monday morning between 9 and 11 am, take between
6.5 and 7.5 hours to do the journey by train, and involves three
changes. This is considerably quicker than attempting to do the journey
by bus, as our roads in rural areas (which both Honiton and Wymondham
are) are not particularly designed for fast travel! Checking for leaving
directly after the lace day (using tomorrow's date, as the June
timetables are not available) at, say 16.30, the first train would be at
19.13, you would have six changes and eventually arrive in Honiton at
11.12 on Sunday morning, after 15 hours 59 minutes travelling! I think I
would plan to visit the Norfolk area (Norwich is a nice city) for the
weekend before travelling to Devon on the Monday....

--
Jane Partridge