Hi everybody:

I'm reading the book "Dentelles Normandes: La Blonde de Caen" and I
keep running into one problem.

Like the English, the French historically used the same word, "livre"
to refer to a pound in weight and to refer to a unit of currency (which
I think is the same as what is now called the franc).

So, when I read things like "à l'avenir toutes les Dentelles
indistinctement, ne payeront que dix sous par livre pour tous droits de
sorties du Royaume à l'étranger" does it mean the charge was ten sous
for each pound (weight) of lace or ten sous for each franc the lace
cost?

Another sentence is "Le Havre expédie annuellement pour 630 000 livres
de dentelles d'or et d'argent et pour 70 000 livres de dentelles de
soie noire". Does that mean lace with a value of 630,000 francs or lace
that weighs 630 000 pounds? Even if it is made of gold or silver,
630,000 pounds of lace sounds to me like an awful lot even for 22,000
lacemakers.

I'm confused. Can any of our French members help?

Adele
North Vancouver, BC