[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> As my husband and I are planning a
> 4-day tourist trip in October to London, I googled Arachne's last year
> archive for lacy things in London. Knowing him I won't be able to make a
> detour to for example Honiton. From what I found on the list only the
> Victoria and Albert museum remains. Anyone with details/other sugestions?
> The excact date is not fixed yet.
>
> Jo Falkink

Dear Jo (and any others visiting London),

You might check all the museum listings (in newspaper) for costume
exhibitions.  There may be some that will have lace, such as at Kensington
Palace.

Be sure to look at the costume exhibits at the Victoria and Albert.  The
famous newly refurbished British Galleries have portraits with lace.
Especially
interesting to a lace student is the portrait of Margaret Laton, about 1620,
shown with her actual embroidered jacket.  What is particularly interesting is
the fact that the gold lace on the garment is not the same gold lace as is on
the portrait (at least, it was not when I looked at it).  There is lots of
white lace on the portrait, also.  Another interesting costume with lace is the
wedding suit, 1673, made for James, Duke of York (later James II and VII) for
his wedding to Mary of Modena - shown on a mannequin.  Many costumes have gold
lace, which cannot be seen in the dim museum lighting.

I suggest you carry a small pocket flashlight (called a torch in England) in
your pocket or purse.  The one I use is not much bigger in circumferance than
a lipstick case, and it is about twice the length  You can very discretely
take it out to look at costume details.  Do not flash it about and draw
attention
to yourself.  Conceal most of it in your palm.  Put it away when not needed.
If a guard asks you about it and you quietly/politely/sweetly explain that
you are a lace student/scholar, chances are you will be allowed to continue to
view lace details that cannot be seen without it.  Just don't overdo.  Wearing
a small visible bit of lace on your person may help.  I wear a lace flower or
jabot - something to point at if speaking with a museum guard.

In major cities, there are always portraits to study in various museums.
That is not a bad idea, because artists usually mastered the art of rendering
lace very well - it displayed the wealth of the sitter.

If I remember correctly, there is a morning paper in London that lists events
and exhibits on the back page.   It's a good idea to check that.  The
concierge at your hotel should be able to assist you.  He/she will probably
have a
copy so that guests can be helped to plan their day.

Dates you'll be in London???  The Lace Guild's July bulletin "Lace" lists in
the "Out and About" section the Knitting and Stitching Show at Alexandra
Palace October 12-15.  If that is when you'll be in London, perhaps someone in
England will give more details or arrange to attend with you.  If this is when
you'll be "in town", so let our London area lacemakers know!.

In the same "Lace" bulletin is an ad for the Knitting and Stitching Show,
which says "The definitive events for anyone with a love of stitch.  Supplies,
workshops and cutting edge textile art."  The web site given is:
www.twistedthread.com

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center