Hi-
When looking for fan sticks I went to my local antique shop and talked with the
owner.  I found out that they usually won't buy a fan if the leaf is not in
good condition.  They usually throw away the fan sticks.  i said I wanted to
make a lace fan and if I was going to do all that work I wanted nice
sticks.....you know, bone or ivory and i only wanted to pay $0.50 for it.....of
course that got a laugh but the owner pulled out a box and said I could have
one of the fans he had.  The cloth was falling apart but it had been beautiful
with a hand painted design and very interesting sequins of all different
shapes, tear drops, flowers, etc. on it.
I carefully removed the cloth and stored it, just couldn't bear to throw it
away, and then cleaned the frame.  To my surprise, it is ivory with beautiful
gold gilt.  Now I am designing the fan for it.  It is quite large and I have
not been able to find any ready made patterns that would fit.
Also there are a couple of ribs missing so I'll just adjust the pattern to fit.
 Can't wait to get started but will have to since I already have a project
going on my large pillow.

And for the lacer who has problems with her cat playing with the
bobbins.......my cat lies beside me in the chair when I am lacing so I solved
the problem by making her her own "bobbin."  I took an empty Kreinik spool and
tied a piece of crochet thread around it and made a loop on the other end of
the thread.  Using a divider pin I attach it to the side of my pillow where she
can reach it and now she "laces" with me and leaves my bobbins alone............

Linda Blair
Edgefield, South Carolina, USA