Hello Sue,
The photos I will send by mail or put into our album I take always with my dig. camera. The problem is that here in Hamburg the sun doesn't shine always . I want to say I do it by good light that the flash will not work. With flash you get lightspots or shadows or other bad reactions.
Is the photo ok I can send it.
The other way is to take scans. If one will do it from photos those must be absolutly "good". Is it lace or other such stuff, I lay it on red or violet colored paper. In my opinion it's better than black. Take a high, wouw what's that in English sorry I don't know and I can't find a word which fits in my dictionary, sorry.
Hope it helps anyway
Greetings

Ilske