Hi Viv and everyone

I have tried the pricking method mentioned by Malvary and it is good, and
what Barb says here

Sometimes   I have put pins and needles into wax to  make them work more
> smoothly.....great for sticky wooden drawer slides, too.

to which I will add the honey people at the farm market told me that beeswax
is supposed to be superlative for preparing a baking sheet for cookie dough!
I haven't tried that though. They had huge cake-size (as in birthday cake)
slabs of beeswax for sale. The scent was heavenly, but at that size too much
and too costly for using for little dibs for lacemaking.

I still have some beeswax for lace, a wee amount given as a favour at a lace
event. Someone had used plastic bottle tops for the containers, poured
melted beeswax into them, wrapped pretty cord around the outsides, and a
loop to pin it to ... the pricking surface I presume. I didn't use a pillow
for preparing a pricking; I kept a piece of styrofoam and pinned the beeswax
thingie to that. Now with the sort of laces I do, many my own designs, I
don't bother with pricking holes ahead of time, but the beeswax bit is fun
to find in the jumble of lace tools.

--
Bev in Sooke BC (on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of Canada)