Sue,
This is the one for the exhibition in Darwin in November. It is
taking me about a month to draft as there are 25 A4 pages of pixels to graph and I'm working about 12 ours a day 7 days a week on it. Once that's done, I shall start designing the lace to go over the top of the portrait.

The picture behind the lace is to be about 650 mm by 950 mm. To reinforce the aspect of craft work, I decided to do the portrait in pixels, which ultimately ends up looking like one of those old filet crochet charts - i.e. with black squares on graph paper. The problem was buying paper large enough these days. There was none available, so I had to make it on the computer at 20 squares per centimeter. Then after very carefully sticking 4 of those pages together, I had a printer enlarge it back to about 1mm squares.

Next step was to work on the photo of Lindsay (my partner). I had to zoom right in and then cut and past pages of 128 pixels by 177 pixels. That's how there ended up being 5 rows of 5 pages. Having then printed out those 25 pages, I am now drafting them on to this fine graph paper. The resulting picture does look stunning - I've now completed 20 pages and got a huge blister on my 3rd finger!!! Later I shall think about applying water colour washes, or perhaps some very shear fabric or even areas of celluloid, before finally laminating the whole thing.

For the lace itself I shall design the stinkhorn fungus using point ground techniques on a grid of about 20 dots per inch on the diagonal, and make it about 20 cm high. This will then be mounted in the appropriate place on the portrait.

In the meantime my antique Toender piece is having a rest. I believe Bev has some more photos to put up on the website as I've now reached the halfway point.
David in Ballarat

David
How big is the piece you are designing? 25 pages sounds as if it will be huge - not our normal delicate scale