Hello Achim

pattern no. 30 (Helen, the straight variant without corners) from
"Stott, G.: A Visual Introduction To Bucks Point Lace" - probably some of
you have a copy of that book.

- How many twists should be between headside passive pairs and the gimp
surrounding a motif? I do two twists to make the motif stand out clearer.

- How many twists when entering a motif containing cloth stitch? I do one twist, but I think I read there could be none at all (P. Nottingham?), so that there's no gap between gimp and cloth stitch filling. So, coming with the worker through the headside passive pairs, I twist twice, go through the gimp ("lift left"), do one more twist and start cloth stitch. Right or wrong
or simply depending on taste?

This subject was covered quite extensively by the OIDFA Point Ground group and and along with all the other minor variations in working methods came to fruition as 'Point Ground Lace; a Comparative Study' published by OIDFA in 2001.

- now something where you need to see the pattern mentioned: I cant figure out how to do the first, i.e. topmost, pin/stitch in the "S" shaped motif below the tiny "one pin circle". I come with two pairs into the motiv, twist both pairs once (see question above) and then I should do cloth stitch. But
where and when do I put the pin?

If there wasn't a hole in the pricking, I'd just do a cloth stitch row and put the first pin on the right after two stitches. But as is, I could put the pin between the two pairs before making the stitch, or I could put it
between or even to the left of the pairs after making the first cloth
stitch. The technical drawing doesn't show the pin holes, so I cant decide
by that alone.

This particular start of that motif is different than all the others -
usually you begin a motif with a normal cloth stitch row (going through only
1 passive pair). Or can it be simply an error in the technical drawing?

I think that the first pinhole is there to go between the pair from the little circle and the pair coming in from the left to become the worker, just to give that worker pair something to be tensioned against.

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html