Hello Jacquie,

I know Achim said she twists twice then lifts the left hand thread to pass
the gimp through,

Yes, just that I'm a he (I'm not too sure about that sometimes, but last time I checked I was ;-).

but if you study it you will see you only then have one twist
left before the gimp. Even clearer, just do one twist, lift the left hand
thread, pass the gimp through and voila, no apparent twist.

You're right - that's something I also noticed.

... half an hour later ...

I just tried all that with really thick threads and watched what happens. With "lift left" one twist ends up on the side of the gimp I'm working towards and is gone from the side where you'd think it would be. With "lift right" the gimp cant slip through the twist.

Since I only did one pattern repeat, I'll try your method for the next - I'll twist twice before the gimp, pass it through by lifting the right bobbin and then make no further twist but start the cloth stitch at once like David also suggested.

Chantilly as taught by Lia Baumeister also uses "lift right" so the twists stay on the side where you do them.

Jacquie, in a very wet and miserable Lincolnshire.

There were 24°C today here in Berlin - probably one of the last warm days this year.

Thanks a lot for the long explanation - very instructive!

Best, Achim.