Clay speaks of doing laborious hand mounting only of things to be  judged.

Speaking from the perspective of a person who has been called in to judge
lace on occasion, I find the hand-finishing issue troubling. Some pieces are
very beautifully hand finished, representing a huge amount of time spent on
that
 aspect. These pieces don't always have the best lace on them. Sometimes
there is  a piece that has been nicely machine finished, or even not so nicely
finished,  but is a much better piece of lace. What is a judge to do? How much
credit  should be accorded on finishing? Even on a point system divided between

different aspects, a nicely hand finished piece picks up 10 points over one
that  is not. But my emerging feeling is that, since judging impacts  the
development of the craft, I would like to encourage more and better
lacemaking,
not laborious French sewing. I almost see spending a lot of  time on attaching
piece of lace to a piece of fabric as something  that poses an obstacle to
the greater goal, if we are to survive as a  craft, of making more and better
lace.

At what point does the lace judge say, "this is the 21st century" and what
would have been extremely important in the mid 19th is becoming irrelevant?
Frankly, I am beginning to notice that most of the things I was raised to
believe are important are now irrelevant.

Devon
proposing a radical concept