---- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
How much
credit  should be accorded on finishing? Even on a point system divided between

different aspects, a nicely hand finished piece picks up 10 points over one
that  is not. But my emerging feeling is that, since judging impacts  the
development of the craft, I would like to encourage more and better
lacemaking,
not laborious French sewing.

I see your point, Devon, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it.  I agree
that the lace itself should be more important than the sewing.  However,
shouldn't presentation and finishing count?  Should delicious jam not lose
points for being put into competition in a dirty, cracked container?  Should a
garment not lose points if it's entered into a contest all wrinkled and
stained?  Should framed lace not lose points if the background is warped and
rippled?

I agree that the points for execution of the lace should be greater than points
for the presentation, but there ought to be points for both IMO.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA