Sorry, I forgot to tel you that Torchon lace in Germany also often is used as a beginner's lace. Because lots of patterns are for thicker thread and I think the logic is quicker to get for someone who starts.
I knew people in the Netherlands which start with Flandres.
So in a way it doesn't matter with wich type of lace people start. I think the only important point is that THEY start with those wonderful work.

more greetings

Ilske from Hamburg in Germany where the chessboard-flower doesn't bloom so wonderful than last year