Any hints about using variegated thread successfully? I've been using
some Valdani thread as workers in a piece of Torchon and it's comming out
in regular stripes - not the effect I wanted at all.  Other times I've
used it and the patterns been completely lost and a mess.  What's the
trick?

Hilary
Wedderburn Victoria
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

The way that variegated thread works out is related to the length of thread that each color occupies and how well it matches or doesn't with the width of the lace you work across. If the thread changes color at some even multiple of the width of the work, it will look stripey. It usually works out best is the is enough of one color to work a couple of times across the width of the lace and then changes in the middle of a row.

Stripes are an effect of short color changes, which is what the Valdani threads do. ( I have some, and just checked.)

Patty