Generally speaking, I don't like very much coloured laces, however I found that to use variegated colour in working pairs (torchon technique), just in the area of wholestitch and outside head of the lace, is really attractive. The stripping effect has been for me too, an effect to avoid, and I agree with Francis that the solution was to use a thinner thread, as it is Sulky Guttermann, and to wind the working pair with variegated thread, two threads together. I didn't need to twist them. Then,I worked the ground and other stitches with ecru or white thread, Finca bolillos #20. The stripping disappeared and the result was a new mixed colour.
Just my experience.

Carolina. Barcelona. Spain.

Carolina de la Guardia
http://www.geocities.com/carolgallego