Alice - one place you might want to research is Lace in Calais in northern France (one end of the chunnel). They have a big manufactured lace industry - smuggled machines from Nottingham.

I haven't been to the Museum there, but do have a couple of pieces of lace from friends who live close by.

Malvary, back in Ottawa where it looks like a sunny day.

From: "Alice Howell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I had planned to make a quick trip via tunnel train from Brussels to London, and then tunnel train back to Paris. It would be a bit expensive for just a couple days because the tunnel train is not part of the rail pass that I have, but V&A's lace collection is worth visiting (when open). > So I'm exploring alternatives for those couple days alloted to London.
Alice