Insect pins are made for mounting insect specimens on a display board. There must be a huge demand for these things, because they're readily available in shops on the internet. They come in a number of sizes from very, very fine (000) to big (7). The heads of these pins are just a tiny little dab of plastic, which bonds with the nail polish I use to make them stand out in the crowd of pins on the pillow. I have found that size 1, in stainless steel, is the exact same size as the Mechlin pins which we are no longer able to find. Some vendors are already stocking them as a substitute for the Mechlin pins. I prefer the stainless to the black-coated pins because if you bend a black pin, the coating will pop off and fall into your lace. Unless you're working with fine threads on a pricking which packs a lot of pins into a tiny space, you really don't need Mechlin pins. But for Binche, they're much preferred to heavier pins. Yes, they do bend easily, but I've learned to set my pins carefully to avoid bending as much as I did when I first started using them. And when they bend, they go into a special container, and occasionally I'll take the batch of bent pins and carefully straighten them again. Quilting pins are much, much bigger. They would serve nicely as holding pins for most laces, but not when you're using fine pins. As a rule of thumb, I would suggest that a holding pin should be no larger than the pin you're using for your lace. Any larger would create a tell-tale hole, which is what you're trying to avoid in the first place.

Clay

Sue wrote:
Can I ask what are 'insect pins in what way are they different to quilting pins (which seem to be a bit thick anyway). I have some of those and some of the things I think you perhaps call berry pins, smaller than quilt pins, thinner than them but still with the coloured tops.
Sue T Dorset UK where the sun is out today, for now
and I am almost finished the 4th of my napkin edgings, thanks to all the ideas for our 40th anniversary pieces.