Carolina de la Guardia wrote:
A half hitch is the way I usually end leaves. A supporter pin, is also very helpful, and secures the leave while the pairs are waiting to be worked again. On square tallies, it is also useful to put 2 supporter pins, at right and left of the tally, taking them out as soon as the pairs are worked again.

Just my experience.

Carolina. Barcelona. Spain.

That is a helpful suggestion!! I actually use insect pins for supporter pins, and have dabbed a bit of red nail polish on the heads... this way, I don't forget and leave them in the work for a long time!!

Clay