Hi Nancy!

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying lacemaking! You have asked a question that many ask, once they know that they're "hooked", and want to continue.

There is no absolute answer to your question, however. All seasoned lacemakers will tell you that "it depends...". Roller pillows are absolutely wonderful when you're making long lengths of straight, continuous lace. you fit your pricking around the roller, and made yards and yards of lace without having to make any adjustments to the roller or the pricking. Edgings in Torchon, Bucks, Beds, Tonder, Flanders, Binche... you name it... are comfortably worked on a roller pillow.

On the other hand, if you want to make medallions in the above laces, or part lace (such as Honiton, Duchesse, Withof, Milanese, etc.), you'll find a block pillow to be much better. And, with a block pillow, you are also able to make yards and yards of straight lace - you just have to move the blocks up from time to time.

So, the bottom line is that a block pillow is more versatile. You will be able to explore many laces on this pillow, and then if you find you're really drawn to the straight laces, investing in a roller in the future would still be an option.

Another thing to consider is that there are many sources of very reasonable priced block pillows. Roller pillows, however, usually are a good bit more expensive.
Good luck!!

Clay

Nancy Nicholson wrote:
I have not been lace making for very long and as such I am still buying the
'tools of the trade' I have two small round pillows, one large pillow and a
three block pillow.  I was going to buy a roller pillow but the man who owns
the site says that almost everyone uses block pillows instead.  Which is best?
Roller or block?

Nancy