My problem is that I am not 'naturally' creative and so have to buy 'ready made'. I really struggle learning to lace make and although I have been learning for almost a year have just made a couple of Brenda's bookmarks (rainy bank holiday). These are the first 'finished articles' I have been able to do. Still practice makes perfect as the saying goes. This time last year I couldn't do anything at all.

From: "Jenny Brandis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 1:43 AM
To: "'Lace Arachne'" <lace@arachne.com>
Subject: [lace] RE:  roller or block

I have made my own roller pillows and my favourite one is designed by Britt in Perth, Western Australia. It packs up to the size of a shoebox yet holds my full size midland bobbins perfectly. The great part about making your own roller is that you can decide what to make it from. I currently like to make
the core of the roller from a off cut of a noodle - child's floatation
device that is a long round piece of 'foam'. I then roll layers of carpet
felt around it until it is the right size (about 1.5-2cm thick) so that the
pins don't actually hit the noodle core. I have no problems with the pin
holes then as the felt is a self healer.

Other hand made instructions can be found at

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/lace_making_collecting/33619/1
Cradle Pillow

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/lace_making_collecting/40807/1
Puerto Rican Travel Pillow