According to the glossary in Mincoff & Marriage Fond à la vierge = rose stitch. In the body of the book they say that rose stitch is 'violet stitch' to Germans and 'maiden's grounding' to the French.

Pat Earnshaw's Dictionary of Lace says cinq trous, five hole, fond à la vierge, virgin ground and rose stitch are all the same.

Margaret L Brook calls it Maiden's net or Point de la Vierge.

Cook & Stott's book shows 17 variations of rose ground plus cane ground.

Then there's Dillmont - she calls it 'double or ornamental ground' and what she calls rose ground is what most people nowadays would call honeycomb.

So, take your pick!!!

Brenda